A Sesame Street Party

By michelleho - October 25, 2013

A friend messaged me one fine day asking for my help to work on her twin boy's 1st birthday party stuff and decor. She has chosen the party theme which was "Sesame Street" and thanks to Pinterest, ideas were flowing from both ends. I said I'll do it and proceeded to work on a visual board for finalisation of ideas and stuff to be done.

So, with the approved visual board finalised and stuff to do list gets listed down, I started to work on the props and decors, little by little. This time I had to plan ahead on this project within a longer time frame seeing that my day job takes up most of my waking hours therefore need to squeeze the time in between to work out on the stuffs. Plus, I had to take a week off from craft work to attend a friend's wedding in Bali so there is the time I had to factor in as well.

Oh well, so what was done for the party?



For the characterised paper lanterns, first thing was to go get some coloured paper lanterns. Then, printed out some Sesame Street characters's faces to later on be stuck on the lanterns. First task experiment done. Will add on the quantities later on.

Next.


(Handmade) Party Hats



I went around looking for a plain and specific coloured party hats for this party but of course as usual, when you're looking for it, it can never be found. So I resorted to handmade every single party hat with foam material in the colours I intended to have. Red for Elmo, Blue for Cookie Monster, Yellow for Big Bird, Purple for The Count, Pink for Abby and Green for Oscar.

After that, I went on to put the party hats into characters!



Ta-dah! With some rubber strings and mini pom-poms as well as printed Sesame Street character faces, everything was clipped and hot glued together on these pretty hats!

Cute not?



Next was party labels and signages. The twin's mama wanted to label lotsa stuff, from food to party area to tables to craft boxes, just to name a few.

The work in progress play and activity area signages.



Every play area needs a name. So because I do not have an A3 coloured printer (yet) I had to do this the more troublesome and nitty-gritty way - cut outs and handmade all these signs. Got some A1 sized green and yellow paper stock from the local stationery shop, cut out the Sesame Street shaped sign, and printed the block alphabets on normal sticker paper for the names. These alphabets were painstakingly cut out, arranged and positioned within the box space of the sign. Boy was I glad when all were completed!




Birthday pennants. These were also printed, cut, and stringed together meant to be hung at the cake-cutting area. Quite easy-peasy.



These table signs were smaller, so all was designed and printed directly on stock paper, folded into half and stuck on sticks. For this I managed to find green balloon sticks and used them for this idea.



The mineral bottles were also personalised and labelled. Easy-peasy job too.



If you have mini burgers, it will not be complete with some foodie flags of the theme. Did Cookie Monster and Elmo flags for this.



One thing I did not need to prepare was the party bag but my 'client' wanted personalised party bag tags so printed these on stock cards and manually sliced and cut each curve.



Of course, when one has personalised water bottle labels and foodie flags, how can one not have food labels. The party mama listed out the food list and I designed, printed, cut and fold each label.



Last but not least - party pom-poms which I used as an indoor alternative for the Sesame Street characters' faces. Like this...



So... how was the whole setup? Let's have a quick peek!




Table names in vases of colourful and bright flowers. I went to the party themed as Cookie Monster (so happened got the oogly-cookie-monster-eyes hairband from USS and the "Keep Calm and have a Cookie" t-shirt sometime back).



Party banner, overall party setup, and in the picture is a super-awesome Sesame Street sign post all handmade by Sunday Comfort Crafts (and Co.) with a bucket, some pipes and a whole lotta green spray paint! :) Oh, with the same formula, I made the sign and passed it to Sunday Comfort Crafts to create and develop the post!



Ok, moving on to other decor and stuffs and props at the party!

How little touches brings out the prettiness doncha think?



From top left clockwise - Handmade Sesame Street character party hats, Birthday pennants on the cake-cutting area background (autographed frames done and hung by the twin's mama), frames of activity instructions and craft box party labels for the kids, photo booth Sesame Street bits and pieces as props of the photo booth, as shown below...


Le' Photo Booth


The activity areas with their respective signages...

Play time!



These activity ideas were the mum's and I gave suggestions to what items can be bought and where it can be found for some. So apparently IKEA has lotsa cool stuff like the cardboard stall and circus tent. Not very expensive either...

So remember my paper lanterns and pom-poms? These were the outcome. Pretty awesome!




Last but not least, what's a party without FOOD! And, of course, the food labels (you know, to tell you what food is there on the table?) ... :)



So, there were my instragrammed version update. I have aplenty more but feeling a little bit lay-zee to work and edit all the photos. So will leave the rest to your imagination :)

Before I sign-off, need to thank the party mama for getting me to do this - very fun and I hope you were all happy with the results! My two friends who helped get some pom-poms hung up the night before. And also to Sunday Comfort Crafts for helping out with the super-awesome Sesame Street standing post! It's so awesome that I WANT ONE TOO!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 Qwerks

  1. Only a person with a creative mind could create all this *thumbs-up*

    ReplyDelete
  2. is there a way that I can order any of these? I love the party hat ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Celeste.

      I couldn't find the hats with the exact characters I wanted so they were all hand made. After some numerous Googling and Pinteresting, I developed my formula. Pretty simple. Giving you a quick guide below:

      1. I just looked for a party cone hat template and print it out (A4 size was good enough considering it was a kid's party hat).

      2. Then I got some foam pieces from a local stationery shop, traced the template and cut them out.

      3. Hot glued the sides for an instant "stick". Leave it to cool for a while.

      4. Looked for the Sesame Street Characters online, print them out on thick (about 100gsm) white paper, cut out the edges and hot glued the faces on the hats.

      5. Get some elastics strings (I got the ones that is usually used for sewing), cut them out and stapler them on 2 side. I tied a little knot at each end to prevent the string from slipping out.

      Ta-dah! Hat's all ready.

      Take a bit of hard work and patience but totally worth it with the end result. Happy working!

      Delete

Qwerk me some Qwerkee Qwerk-ness!